Monday, August 22, 2016

Dear Angry Driver

I've made jokes about my own road rage (aka road mild-moderate irritation) recently on my personal FB page. Because it happens while driving, I don't usually have the opportunity to hear what the other driver has to say about any incident. But today I was the other driver. I know the person I encountered probably won't read this... but maybe someone else can take something away from this like I hope to.

Dear Angry Driver,

I don't know what I did in that brief moment that I was distracted by my child, but it must have been big to warrant you following me into the bank parking lot and parking right at my back bumper. For you to have been angry enough to want to confront me, even though you had children in your own car, I must have almost caused a massive accident.

So, just so you know, I'm really sorry. I don't even know what I did. I heard a horn honk, but it didn't register that it might be for me until I saw you on my rear bumper long after the intersection. It really didn't sink in until you peeled out from behind me and sped out of the parking lot once you realized I was headed for the ATM and not getting out of my car.

In any case, you're right. I shouldn't have been distracted and no amount of excuses would have helped had I caused an accident.

Also, I want to say thank you. Thank you for doing a better job of paying attention in that moment than I was, and for doing whatever you had to do to avoid an accident. Thank you for your watchful eyes and evasive maneuvers. I have to believe you likely saved us both a lot of pain and heartache. That is the blessing that I choose to take away from this incident.

Because my business sign is on the side of my car, I was expecting an angry email when I got home. Since I didn't have one, I wanted to reach out first. I hope you believe that my apology and thanks are both sincere.

In closing, I would like to ask you one thing if I may. Next time someone makes you angry while driving, please hear my sincere and heartfelt apology in your head and pretend it is them saying it. Next time I'm in your position, that's what I am going to do. I'm going to attempt to take a deep breath and let it go while being thankful for what didn't happen.

I'm glad this ended well today and I pray you have a blessed and relaxing evening.

Sincerely,

Kindall Nelson
Owner, Hire A Housewife

No comments:

Post a Comment